Department of Physics
Research Groups

Degrees and Majors

Undergraduate degrees based within the Department of Physics, include 3-year B.Sc in Physics (PHSI), Electronics (ELEC) and Energy Studies (ENST)


To major in Physics or Electronics, you must take the following 100-level papers:

  • PHSI 131 (or PHSI 191)
  • PHSI 132
  • MATH 160 Mathematics 1
  • MATH 170 Mathematics 2

For a minor in Electronics, your degree should include:

  • ELEC 253 in the second (or possibly third) year
  • Two third year ELEC papers in your third year.

Links to all our papers


Electronics is an important part of modern applied physics and an essential part of the New Zealand high-school physics curriculum. Skills in electronics are very valuable for anyone interested in a career as:

  • An experimental physicist
  • A High-school teacher
  • An applied or industrial physicist

To major in Electronics, you must take a standard first year physics course, and then in your second year, your papers will typically include:

  • ELEC 253 Analogue and digital electronics
  • One paper from MATH 200-level
  • One paper from PHSI 200-level, COSC 241-243

Energy Studies

If you intend to major in Energy Studies, you must take the following 100-level papers:

  • One 100-level PHSI paper (PHSI 131 recommended)
  • MATH 160
  • MATH 170